Can Engagement Rings Get Wet?
Posted by Koorosh Daneshgar on Feb 1st 2023
Engagement rings are a symbol of love and commitment, and it’s important to keep them looking their best. One question that many people ask is whether or not an engagement ring can get wet. The answer to this question is not as straightforward as it might seem. While it is possible for engagement rings to get wet, it’s important to understand the potential risks and how to protect your ring from damage.
The first thing to consider is the material of the ring. Different materials have different properties, and some are more susceptible to damage from water than others. For example, gold is a relatively soft metal and can easily become scratched or bent if it is exposed to water. Similarly, diamonds are porous and can absorb water, which can cause the stone to become discolored or cloudy. On the other hand, platinum is a strong, durable metal that is less likely to be damaged by water.
Another factor to consider is the setting of the diamond. A prong setting, for example, leaves the diamond more exposed and vulnerable to damage from water. A bezel setting, on the other hand, protects the diamond by encasing it in metal. The tighter the fit of the bezel, the better protected the diamond will be from water damage.
While it is possible for an engagement ring to get wet, it’s important to take steps to protect it from damage. Here are a few tips to help you keep your ring looking its best:
- Remove the ring before washing your hands or doing any other activities that involve water. This will prevent water from getting inside the setting and potentially causing damage.
- Avoid wearing your ring in the shower or while swimming. The high pressure of the water can cause the ring to shift or become damaged. If you do need to wear your ring in the water, make sure to remove it as soon as you’re finished.
- Dry the ring thoroughly after getting it wet. Use a soft cloth to gently pat the ring dry, and make sure to get into all the nooks and crannies of the setting.
- Store the ring in a safe, dry place when you’re not wearing it. This will help to prevent water damage and keep the ring looking its best.
- Have your ring professionally cleaned and inspected on a regular basis. This will help to keep the diamond and the setting in good condition, and can also help to detect any potential problems before they become serious.
In conclusion, an engagement ring can get wet, but it’s important to take steps to protect it from damage. By understanding the properties of the materials used in the ring and taking appropriate precautions, you can keep your ring looking beautiful for years to come. If you have any questions or concerns about your ring, be sure to consult with a professional jeweler. They can help you determine the best way to care for your ring and keep it in good condition for years to come.